YORK UNIVERSITY BOOKSTORE
GENERAL REFUND POLICY:
- Most non-course materials may be returned for refund or exchanged within 14 days of original purchase.
- Book refunds are accepted based on the standards set by the publishers. Publishers will not accept any books with even just the slightest defect or damage. It is beyond the Bookstore's control if the publishers' policies affects your refund.
- We will exchange items deemed defective.
- Errors at cash register must be claimed at time of purchase.
- Customers are responsible for checking the condition of their books and other merchandise at the time of purchase. We are not responsible for the condition of the item once it has left the store. If there is any question about the condition of the book or other purchase, ask a cashier to note any defects on your receipt at the time of the purchase, in case you need to return it.
- No refunds or exchanges will be issued without the original cash register receipt. It is the customers' responsibility to retain their receipts.
- All returns are at the discretion of store personnel.
CONDITIONS OF REFUND:
- Must have your original cash register receipt.
- Merchandise must be in PERFECT condition. Books cannot be soiled, highlighted, written on, have cracked spines, etc!
- No refunds or exchanges if book is fully or partially read, used, marked, bent, torn or if the spine is cracked. It must be perfect!
- In original packaging. No refunds or exchanges if shrink wrap is removed.
- Refunds can only be issued using the same method of purchase. We require the debit or credit card used to make the purchase - we refund the amount back on to the original card.
- Customers must present Student ID or government issued photo ID, and complete a return form available at the refund counter.
NO REFUND OR EXCHANGES ON:
- Course kits, custom publications, and Special Orders.
- Lab coats, goggles, dissection kits and lab manuals.
- Sale or discounted items, or any item marked "final sale".
- Computer software, CDs and DVDs.
- Items sold in shrink wrapped packages must not be opened.
- Magazines, Journals, coil bound materials.
- Calculators, printer cartridges, electronic goods and batteries.
- Confectionery items, writing instruments.
- Graduation frames, and rings
- Study notes, eg. Cliffs, York, Max notes.
- Examination and preparation books/disks: LSAT, GMAT, GRE, SAT, MSCE, MCSD, CNE etc.
- Course associated ACCESS CODES and Licenses.
- Certain art supplies: cut canvas and mylar, newsprint, sheets of fine art paper, drawing instruments, paint brushes, ink, photographic paper and film. Packaged items must remain unopened.
A) COURSE MATERIALS
- Course materials may normally be refunded within 14 calendar days of purchase. However, there are two exception periods each term.
- We provide an Extended Refund Period at the beginning of each term in order to encourage early shopping. This extended period allows shoppers to have more than 14 days for consideration of their purchase. These dates are posted both online, and in-store.
- At the end of each term, there will be a No Refund Period. Course materials purchased during this period are Final Sale. Course materials purchased prior to these dates are non-returnable during these periods. The Refund Counter will be closed to returns on course materials during these periods. These dates are posted both online and in-store.
- Refunds will only be granted during the No Refund Period to those students who have dropped a course, and are also within 14 days of the original purchase date. A course drop sheet must be provided in these cases.
- Please note, that the Refund Counter is also closed for one week at the beginning of each term to allow us to focus our efforts in helping students obtain their course materials. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- Used books are refundable as per the refund guidelines listed above.
Extended Refund Periods
- Fall term: Purchases from Aug 15 - Sep 16 may be returned until Oct 1.
- Winter term: Purchases from Dec 25 - Jan 10 may be returned until Jan 24.
- Summer term: Purchases from April 25 - May 10 may be returned until May 24.
No Refund Periods
- No returns on Fall materials after November 1.
- No returns on Winter materials after February 15.
- No returns on Summer materials after July 1.
B) CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
- Regularly priced clothing and accessories may be exchanged only within 14 days of purchase.
- All clothing and accessory items must be accompanied by the original store receipt, with tag attached, and in unworn, sellable (perfect) condition.
- Items may be exchanged for other Bookstore merchandise, or a Bookstore gift card of equal value.
- All discounted items are final sale and may not be refunded or exchanged.
- Undergarments and swimwear are final sales and may not be refunded or exchanged.
C) WEB ORDERS
- Web orders purchases may also be returned as per the policy guidelines.
- Customers are responsible for requesting permission from the Bookstore Web Order Department prior to the shipping of any return.
- For all web order sales, the sale date is the date on the cash register receipt. The original cash register receipt must accompany all returns.
- Qualified refunds will be issued as per the original method of payment.
- Shipping fees are non-refundable unless the return is due to an error in processing or shipping by the Bookstore. Customers are responsible for return shipping, and any goods that are lost or damaged during return shipping are the customer's responsibility. Of course, refunds can be processed in person at either store location.
Make sure to keep your receipt!